Today I’ll be posted my tried and true DIY face mask recipe that detoxifies the skin and clarifies the skin using only completely natural ingredients without any fillers! All of these ingredients are easy to find and when you add up the price of buying each ingredient, you’ll still be spending less money than you would on most masks that you buy at the store and you’ll also be making A LOT of product, which means it will last you much, much longer. Since there are no fillers or liquid based ingredients in this face mask, there’s no expiration date, either!
If you’ve read any of my other posts, you know that I suffer from excessively oily skin, as well as hormonal breakouts and adult acne that is very difficult to get rid of. I’m officially in the process of revamping and simplifying my current skincare routine and once I’ve given it more time to see how my results go, I’ll be updating all of you with a detailed Updated Skincare Routine post!
One of the things that I’ve found to be the most crucial and helpful when addressing chronic skin concerns, such as acne and inflammation, is to use a face mask with detoxifying and clarifying ingredients to help dry up the existing blemishes, speed up the healing of the blemishes, and create balance within your skin.
Many store-bought masks have a plethora of ingredients and many of these ingredients are supposed to be healthy for our skin, however, not everyone’s skin reacts well to even the most natural of ingredients such as: shea butter, olive oil, argan oil, coconut oil, etc. And a lot of these ingredients are in store-bought masks as a filler that the brand feels is beneficial. However, in my experience, these added ingredients may not always be the best choice, especially when you’re trying to narrow down which ingredients (natural or non-natural) are having a negative effect on your skin.
I’ve found that making my own DIY face masks are the best for me, personally, because I can control what goes into it and I can tailor the ingredients to meet my particular skincare needs. I’ve done a lot of research on various ingredients, particularly natural ingredients for acne prone skin and I’ve tried many different variations of this specific mask. I’ve tried using these ingredients separately, in different combinations, etc. And for me personally, I find that this particular recipe has worked the best and the fasted to clear up my skin.
My skin tends to flare up when my hormones fluctuate, which means when it’s that glorious time of the month for me, my skin tends to go crazy! Over the past week, I’ve been getting deep cysts and tiny little bumps all along my jaw line (the main area that shows hormonal causes for breakouts). So, I meant to post this recipe in honor of #maskmonday on Instagram, however, I held off because I wanted to really make sure that this worked as effectively as possible. And, wow….can I just say, WOW. YES it does!
I applied this mask Monday night and Tuesday night (I’m posting this on Wednesday). After my first application on Monday, when I woke up Tuesday morning, my current blemishes had dried up and smoothed out to such a degree, I almost couldn’t believe it. The Cystic blemishes, which are the hardest ones to budge, were much less inflamed and no longer hurt to the touch. After my second application last night, I woke up this morning with my cystic blemishes completely dried up and all of my little blemishes (that were full of hard sebum–I know, lovely stuff!) were completely smoothed out, as if they were never clogged to begin with. Now, this is amazing… Simply Ah-ma-zing…
My recipe is not very precise because I don’t really think it needs to be. I think as long as the individual ingredients are working together, that’s all you’ll need.
Face Mask Recipe: (designed to fill a mason jar) If you’re using a different container, make sure it seals tightly and use equal parts of each ingredient.
- 1/4 cup Oats (I ground mine up in my Nutri-bullet blender to form a powder)
- 1/4 cup Fuller’s Earth Clay
- 1/4 cup Activated Charcoal
- 1/4 cup Turmeric Powder
- !/8 cup of cinnamon (I ran out of cinnamon, otherwise it would have been a 1/4 cup)
- 6 drops of the following essential oils: Juniper Berry, Myrhh, Lavender, Geranium, Clary Sage, Wild Orange, and Frankincense (these oils are optional, but they’re very powerful when addressing skin imbalances and acne, in particular). My favorite place to purchase these super high quality, affordable essential oils is here.
I have direct links to each ingredient listed below.
This is what this mixture looks like after I applied each ingredient:
After the essential oils were added:
Then I put the lid on my mason jar and shake the product for a couple of minutes to make sure everything is blended and the essential oils are immersed throughout.
This is what the final result will look like:
The activated charcoal makes everything look nearly black, but don’t worry, it washes off and it won’t stain your skin grey!
Now you have a powder mask that you can use to mix in with a variety of ingredients:
- Take about a teaspoon full of the dry mask in the palm of your hand or small bowl and add a few drops of water until you form a paste-like consistency that you can glide over your skin.
- You can use aloe vera juice instead of water to make the same paste.
- You can use almond or hemp milk.
- You can use honey.
- You can use an oil if your skin is very sensitive and dry. You can combine a few drops of oil and mix in some water to form a more moisturizing paste.
The reason I chose these particular ingredients:
- Oats are very moisturizing to the skin, contain healing and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Fullers Earth Clay is the most powerful clay I’ve found to draw up toxins, detox the skin, pull oil from the skin, and clarify the complexion.
- Activated Charcoal’s natural oxygenation allows it to absorb matter and toxins, making it quite possibly the most absorbent ingredient, which is said to have the ability to absorb thousands of times its own weight. Not only is it super absorbent, but it also has immense antibacterial properties, which is what makes this such an amazing ingredient for oily and acne-prone skin types. This amazing stuff draws out impurities, heals blemishes, and goes as far as PREVENTING future breakouts! Lastly, this wonderful ingredient also has anti-aging properties, as it tightens pores, reduces inflammation, smooths the skin, and prevents premature aging.
- Turmeric Powder is widely known to help reduce breakouts & blackheads, lighten hyperpigmentation and scarring, helps heal/prevent dry skin conditions, is said to slow the aging process, and improves skin elasticity. Turmeric is amazing applied topically or used internally. I wrote about the healing benefits of Turmeric Milk in my blog post Turmeric Milk–The Health Drink of the Gods
- Cinnamon was included for its antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant effects.
- Lastly, I included my top essential oils for treating acne prone skin. Essential oils are incredibly powerful and have immense healing properties. I added about 6-8 drops of each oil mentioned above. This step is optional and you don’t have to add these oils if they’re not in your budget. I recommend adding them if you do have the money in order to make this already highly effective mask even more potent and effective. I strive to use only brands of essential oils that have proven purity without any added chemical constituents. The above link is for a set of essential oils from my favorite brand online, however, if only one essential oil is within your budget, I’d recommend this one.
This is a HUGE amount of mask, which is why I love DIY projects. This is enough to literally last at least 6 months to a year, if used regularly.
You can also use this dry mask with honey to cleanse your skin in the morning.
I purchased the Aztec Healing Clay from Amazon , which is 1lb of Fullers Earth Clay. I purchased my oats in bulk here. I like having a lot of activated charcoal on hand because it can be taken internally and it can also be used as a natural teeth whitening product. You just sprinkle some on your toothbrush and brush you teeth with the powder and it will pull stains and toxins from your mouth, revealing brighter, whiter teeth!
You may find it easiest to apply this mask in the morning and then rinse in the shower since it’s a dark grey color, which can be a bit messy when rinsing in your sink. So, in the shower, the steam will help open your pores, and the stream of water will make removing it quite easy.
You can also add this mask to your current facial cleanser by scooping some of the powder out and applying it into one serving of your facial cleanser. This might be the best option for very sensitive skin types.
I tend to keep my masks on for a long time because I forget they’re on. To air on the side of caution, try using this mask for 10 minutes at a time.
I hope you found this Review helpful and thank you so much for reading!
Please ask me any questions in the comments below and I’ll be glad to help in any way I can!
Have a healthy, happy, and beautiful day!
Follow me on Instagram: @completenaturalclarity
Follow me on Pinterest: @NaturalClarity
For Business inquiries, please contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
If it is your first time purchasing from Vitacost.com, you can get $10 off your first order by using my referral link: Vitacost.com